Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dormancy of Grass

Dormancy in your grass is initiated by the cooling temperatures in the fall for warm season grasses such as bermudagrass and St. Augustine. After your grass goes dormant, it will not take up and use any of the nutrients we put on the grass. The grass is "asleep". So a winterizer type of fertilizer has to be put down on your lawn before the grass is going brown for it to have any effect. Otherwise , you are simple wasting your money.

Also, in the spring, do NOT put down any fertilizer before your grass greens up. The expert advice is to not put down fertilizer until your GRASS(not the weeds) has grown enough that you have had to mow IT twice, so that your grass is actively growing before you fertilize. Let your neighbor waste his money, not yours.

Weed and Feed products usually are a bad idea...the only time to use this product is when it is time to fertilize( grass is green and growing) and you have a lot of broadleaf weeds( henbit, chickweed, spurge, dandelions, etc) in your yard, and also remember broadleaf herbicides should only be applied when the daytime high temperatures are consistently between 60 and 90 F.

walter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Help me I can get home to my lawn?

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your advise and agree with all of it, not that I'm in any particularly knowledgeable position to disagree. So I'm in a rent house and have definitely helped the St. Augustine in the front yard this year. It's deeper and healthier, but still has some tough weeds and a weird arch of what looks like Bluegrass growing in one spot. I'm fertilizing the St. Augustine hoping for a take-over, the non-violent variety. The back yard has a good crop of Augustine that will take more time to take over the also-healthy Bermuda. I live in a newer part of town for years and when I moved here, by Denton High School in a yard that has been around for at least 50 years, I notice a more organic quality to the yard and many more insects, including large numbers of lightening bugs on the summer nights. Okay, that's it. Two-and-a-Half Men is coming on so I'm leaving.

Depot Bob